Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Awesome Math and Science Website!

Hello Families,

A teacher's (and mother's) mind rarely turns off that is why I am up so early typing this blog! :)  This week since we are having MAP testing, I wanted to take the opportunity to teach science for a portion of our week.  We have started talking about the Solar System and why we have day and night.  Brainpop jr is a great website that I use frequently in class, however you have to pay for it.  I wanted to recommend a website for your student and older siblings that I love.

http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/index.htm 

It is a website dedicated to MATH and SCIENCE.  They have great videos, slide shows and quizzes you can take to test you knowledge for each concept.  I thought it may be a little over the Kindergarteners heads, but I decided to show them the slide show of the planets and I did my own commentary for each picture and the students were AMAZED!!!  I'm so glad I didn't listen to my first instinct and not show them.  The students are really picking up the knowledge of our solar system.  A student brought in a book that we read for our read aloud that had fantastic illustrations!  Each student then got to "be" a planet, and we practiced orbited the sun and keeping the correct distance between planets.  However, my room, was not working out so well for us, (we need more room!), so next week we will head down to the gym to get a better understanding of it. 

Below you will see the introductory lesson to the solar system.  We focused on the Earth and the Sun.  Students were not understanding what "orbit" meant.  We practiced some movements to help us make a connection.  After I turned the video off, the Earth needed to sit down, they were dizzy!  haha!



Hope you like the website!

Mrs. Kressin



No comments:

Post a Comment